8th & Lehman Streets
Monument Park situated upon the southwestern end of the ground, was once occupied by the 93rd Regiment, Pennsylvania. Volunteers were recruited as a regiment. The park was known then known as Camp Coleman. The park occupied part of the space of the officer's headquarters of the regiment.
The original camp extended from Lehman Street north to the Union Canal, and west from Seventh Street to Eighth Street, then known as Walnut Street. Mrs. G. Dawson Coleman, who had a deep interest in the welfare of the 93rd Regiment throughout the war, continued her patriotic efforts and with liberal subscriptions from her family and friends, and with the assistance of prominent ladies in Lebanon and vicinity, held a fair in Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church in April 1867, and raised approximately $1,000 for the purpose of erecting a monument to the memory of Lebanon County soldiers and sailors who died in the service of their Country during the rebellion.
The legislature of Pennsylvania by an act approved March 22, 1867 established a commission of 36 men to contract for and superintend the erection of a monument. The commission organized and was authorized to accept subscriptions, gifts, etc., and the Commissioners of Lebanon County were authorized to aid by the payment of any sum not to exceed $5,000.
The ladies organization which originated the idea of a monument evidently were not given consideration by the commission and another act of assembly was approved February 28, 1868 to create trustees to erect a monument, to be known as the Women's Monument. This act created trustees of the money, then in the treasury of the Ladies Monument Fair of Lebanon County and empowered them to purchase a plot of ground and select a monument. The passage of this act made the Women's Monument Trustees the controlling power and action was at once taken toward its erection. Land was purchased from the various owners at that time for $2500. The monument is in the center of the plot, made of marble, 30 feet in height of column, on top of which is a cannon ball.
Inscriptions on the bases: East-Side: "Erected by the citizens of Lebanon County, Anno Domini 1869". Base: Wilderness - Chattanooga. West-Side: "In memory of the soldiers and sailors of Lebanon County, fallen in defense of the Union". Base: Fair Oaks - Fredericksburg. North-Side: "An American Eagle on top of anchor and gun". Base: Port Royal - Vicksburg. South-Side: "American Flags with a stock of guns in center". Base: Antietam - Gettysburg. On the four corners of the base are 25 cannon balls - total 100 cannon balls. The mound or square covers 30 paces on each side.
On April 1, 1870 the Women's Monument Trustees gave the deed to the Lebanon County Commissioners or their successors, in trust, charging them with the care and maintenance of the park property and monument.
Back to Parks & Recreation